ID Cards

Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID)

Anyone entering Hong Kong must have at least six months validity remaining on their passports after the date of entry to Hong Kong. Visitors planning to stay in Hong Kong for longer than 180 days must apply for a Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID) within 30 days of arriving in Hong Kong. The Hong Kong Identity card (HKID) is an official identity document issued by the Immigration Department of Hong Kong.

There are two types of HKID card:

  • Hong Kong Identity Card. This ID card states that the holder has the right of abode.
  • Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card. To apply for the HKID card your Working Visa must be valid for more than 180 days.

After seven years of continuous residence in Hong Kong, expatriates are entitled to apply for the Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card, this will grant a permanent resident status, ensuring unlimited entry, the right to vote in Hong Kong elections and the right to stand for elected office. Once you have your HKID Card you are by law required to carry it with you at all times.

For further details contact the Immigration Department.

To apply for your Hong Kong Identity Card make an appointment with the Immigration Department. You must apply in person and remember to take along the following items.

  • Passport (with a valid stamped Visa).
  • Check with the Immigration Department for the latest requirements for HKID applications.

Immigration Department
Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai. Tel: 2824 6111

Operating hours:
Monday to Friday 8:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.